2020 Giving Challenge
Manatee Literacy Council (MLC) has been serving the community for over 40 years. Our success with our learners is the result of certified volunteer tutors working one-on-one with a learner in a safe environment. Our tutors are trained to help adult learners reach their goals. MLC partners with ProLiteracy America and the Florida Literacy Coalition.
When clients walk into our office, they are looking to change their lives by improving their English language skills. Be they native-English speakers who need to improve their reading and writing skills, or non-English speakers who are trying to learn the language, we are here to help. Every person who comes to us is an individual with different needs and goals. We take all this into consideration when planning a course of study for them. For this reason, we offer one-on-on tutoring as well as small conversation classes. We rely on dedicated volunteers and your generous donations to support us in transforming lives and building a stronger community.
We are pleased and proud to report that in the 2020 Giving Partner Challenge we won multiple contest prizes! We entered 4 "Best of" prize contests and were winners in all four, adding more than $5000 to the funds we raised during the challenge.
- Best Board Member Engagement - our board worked diligently and collaboratively to pull off our Giving Challenge campaign. Thanks go to the WWSB/TV ABC 7 and the William G. & Marie Selby Foundation for their sponsorship of this contest.
- Best Online Event - our interim Director designed a Facebook Live event that was successful, and our very first virtual event. Many thanks go to the SRQ Media group and the Community Foundation of Sarasota County for their generous sponsorship of this contest.
- Best Giving Challenge 2018 Story - we were one of twenty winners in this contest based on the story we published on Facebook and other places. Thanks go to Herald Tribune Media Group and the Community Foundation of Sarasota County for their sponsorship of this contest.
- Best Giving Challenge Photo - our photo was one of the top twenty vote-getters in this contest. Our thanks go to the Observer Media Group and the Community Foundation of Sarasota County for their sponsorship of this contest.
- In addition to these contests, we also received a prize for a Donor Shoutout Facebook.
Manatee Literacy Council's Executive Director and current and former Board of Directors' GC 2020 videos:
Judy Garland -
The Manatee Literacy Council 2018 Giving Challenge Story
We asked you to “Be the One” and you did it. “How,” you ask?
You and others like you, supported by The Community Foundation of Sarasota and The Patterson Foundation, were instrumental during the 2018 Giving Challenge in helping us continue our mission of empowering Manatee County residents to independence through literacy. Thanks to your donations, Manatee Literacy Council (MLC) was able to continue working to help adults gain the skills needed to read stories to their children. It is because of you that Manatee County adults continue to learn and improve their English skills, take GED classes, and study for U.S. citizenship.
You are the one! Because you gave your time, effort and money to help, you made a difference.
By choosing to “Be the One,” MLC was able to hire an Executive Director who brought exciting ideas on how to move our organization forward. You continued to support MLC by joining us at a Marauder’s baseball game and attending our first gala, Flavors of Literacy, held at Pirate City, for a memorable evening of fun, food and entertainment… All of this because you wanted to “Be the One” to help us achieve our goals and set our sights on the future.
Because of you, an adult became a U.S. citizen and some adult learners were able to improve their lives by getting better jobs with higher pay.
Because you were the one, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We know, as do you, that your ongoing support is necessary for our continued success. Your support in the upcoming 2020 Giving Partner Challenge, from noon April 28th to noon April 29, will help us continue serving our community and help another adult read a good night story to their child.
Will you “Be the One” for us again in 2020? Will you “Be the One” to bring more “because of you” victories for MLC? Support us #GivingChallenge2020 and #BeTheOne
MLC Video for the GC 2020